As many of you are aware, there will be a total solar eclipse while we are at camp. I have purchase 100 NASA approved glasses for our students to safely view this event. The eclipse will start around 1p Monday, August 21. The eclipse will reach its peak around 2:25p and end by 3:45p. Students will be in music rehearsals during this time, but we will be sure to allow student the opportunity take in and enjoy this amazing event with the safety of approved eyewear.
Pre-camp begins WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 16 at 8 a.m. for all 1st and 2nd year marchers and drumline. All 3rd and 4th year members must report to camp Wednesday at 1p. Please be sure all forms and payments have been received by the start of pre-camp. Everyone should arrive early to ensure you are ready to start on time. We will meet at the marching band practice field behind the softball field. Students need to park in the back lot. The front loop is for drop off and staff parking.
Below you will find detailed information regarding band camp activities.
WEDNESDAY, August 16
- 1st and 2nd year marchers and drumline (8a-3p).
- Bring instruments, music, flipbooks, lyres, and pencil
- If you have your poker chips from last year, return them to Olivia or Alex at pre-camp on Wednesday!!!
- ALL marching band members, including 3rd and 4th year members, report to the practice field by 1p.
- Bowling at Woodland Lanes (7-8:30p) $10/person
THURSDAY, August 17
- Pre-Camp 8a-3p
- Music Assessment: Fight Song (memorization)
- Parent Meeting (7p)
- Drumline practice (7-8p)
- Guard practice (7-9p)
FRIDAY, August 18
- Pre-Camp 8a-3p
- Music Assessment: Star Spangled Banner (memorization)
- Drumline practice (6-9p)
SATURDAY, August 20 (10a-2p)
- Car Wash
IMPORTANT PRE-CAMP REMINDERS
- Snacks and water bottles will not be supplied. Individuals should bring a snack and water every day.
- Be sure your emergency information form is turned in by the first day of pre-camp - August 16th.
- Be sure to wear appropriate clothing (tennis shoes, athletic shorts, school appropriate top, avoid black clothing, etc.). School dress code for shorts (mid-thigh) and tops (no tank-tops/spaghetti straps or under garments showing) apply to all school activities. Jeans, long pants, and boots are not acceptable as it makes it difficult to assess proper marching technique and restricts movement.
- Eat a good breakfast (including a protein in your breakfast will boost your energy). Limit the sugar you consume, as it will cause you to crash in the middle of the morning. Try to avoid dairy in the morning as it usually lays heavy and creates upset stomach.
- BRING WATER: Since you will be marching out in the sun and heat, it is important to drink lots of water. There will also be large containers of water on the field to refill water bottles. Water bottles will NOT be provided!
- Bring a snack for morning break. NO snacks will be provided!
- You will have 1 hour for lunch every day. Individuals may choose to bring a lunch and eat at school or leave campus for lunch.
- To protect yourself from the sun, be sure to wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.
- ALL wind players will need a flipbook and lyre for their music. These items can be purchased at a local music store.
- Music, instrument, pencil, flipbook, lyre, poker chips (will be provided for setting drill), and dot books/drill are required at ALL rehearsals.
PARENT MEETING – Thursday, August 17 (7p)
There will be a PARENT MEETING Wednesday, August 17 at 7p in the Stevenson Instrumental Music room (M-12). Information regarding band camp, marching band season, parent volunteer opportunities, and information on how to get involved through the Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters will be discussed. We look forward to meeting new families and catching up with returning families!
MARCHING BAND CAMP
Information regarding band camp at Covenant Hills can be found HERE. All students will return to Stevenson on Thursday, August 24 by bus. In the online registration, individuals had the option to register to take the bus to camp on Sunday, August 20. This option is available at $20/student. Currently we are at 2 buses for camp. To see your transportation registration selection, click here. If your transportation needs have changed, please let me know ASAP so I can reserve enough space for those who need to ride the bus to camp. A reminder that students CANNOT drive themselves to camp. You must be dropped off by a parent or ride the school provided bus. If you are riding the bus and did not include the bus fee in your registration payment, we will collect your fee during the pre-camp at Stevenson August 16-18.
BAND CAMP 2017 – Departure and Return Schedules
SUNDAY, August 20
9:00 am Leadership and Drumline at SHS for loading – meet in front parking lot
9:45 am All wind players and guard at SHS for loading
10:30 am Buses depart for Covenant Hills Camp
11:30 am Buses stop at Clio exit for lunch (bring $ or a lunch – first meal at camp is dinner)
1:00 pm ALL arrive at camp – unload equipment, move in to cabins
1:45 pm Meeting – Camp expectations and rule reminders
2:00 pm Sectionals (Music)
THURSDAY, August 24
1:00 pm Depart from camp
2:30 pm Arrive at SHS – unload
2:45 pm Students to be picked up from SHS front parking lot
MARCHING BAND CAMP DONATIONS
Students will be provided with 3 regular meals at Marching Band camp. Since we cannot have extra food in our cabins due to the critters it can attract, we plan to provide snacks each day to keep our musicians energized. If you would sign up HERE to donate snack items, it would be very much appreciated! With the exception of WATER donations (which should be delivered at drop off on August 20), please bring all FOOD donations to the parent meeting on Thursday, August 17. (Quantities/prices were based on shopping at Costco, but items can be purchased elsewhere.)
CAMP DIETARY NEEDS
Students and chaperones who have specific dietary needs should have include them in the online marching band registration. If you have a food allergy, are vegetarian, or must avoid certain foods, I must have record of your needs by Thursday, August 10 to be sure the camp can be informed properly. It is important individuals who do NOT require a special diet avoid suddenly becoming vegetarians at camp as food is prepped specifically for those who have a special dietary need.
DISTRICT ICHAT for VOLUNTEERS
Parents who volunteer or chaperone band students must complete the district online iChat form (https://tinyurl.com/y958uzts). This form is updated by the LPS district each year. If you are chaperoning band camp or plan to help during pre-camp or uniform fittings, you must complete the online form by August 9 to ensure you are cleared to volunteer. If you do not plan to volunteer for camp but want to help later in the year, you will need to complete and submit the form before you can be cleared to volunteer. The processing time the district requires for the iChat form is 2-3 weeks. If you are chaperoning band camp, it is imperative that the iChat form is processed prior to camp. Once you have been cleared for one Livonia Public Schools chaperone or volunteer activity, you will not need to fill out another iChat form until the following school year.
Marching band uniform fittings will be held on Saturday, August 26 at Stevenson. Appointments to be fit for a uniform are available online. Click here to make an appointment. If you will be out of town, please contact me directly so I can make arrangements with the uniform moms.
Uniform fitting appointments will be 15 minutes in length; therefore, it is important you follow general guidelines to be fit properly. Please be sure the phone number you supply is a number where you can be contacted the day of your fitting.
Uniform Fitting Guidelines:
- Sign-up for a time online. Complete all required fields. This will help us prepare for your appointment.
- ALL camp fees must be paid in full to be fit and/or be allowed to take your assigned uniform home.
- Individuals must wear a t-shirt, athletic shorts, and socks for the fitting (these are the items you will wear under your uniform for games and competitions).
- Individuals are to be dressed as stated when appointment starts so you can be fit properly.
CAMP REGISTRATION FEES
With camp right around the corner, all marching band camp fees ($350 camp fee and all uniform fees – shoes, gloves) should be completely paid or have a plan in place with Mrs. Wickman. If you mailed your forms and payment, but did not complete the online registration, please complete the registration so I can inform the camp of student dietary needs.
ONLINE MARCHING BAND REGISTRATION (click here)
MARCHING BAND FORMS PACKET (click here)
Mail completed forms/payments to:
Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters
P.O. Box 531081
Livonia, MI 48153
The LPS Pay-to-Participate payment link is now active for 2017-18. All marching band members must pay the LPS $50 to participate in marching band. To access the site, click on the link below (or copy and paste the link into your browser), or visit the Stevenson home page (http://stevenson.livoniapublicschools.org/), hover over “Activies” and scroll down to Pay to Participate: Marching Band/All-School Play/All-School Musical.
MARCHING BAND CALENDAR OVERVIEW - 2017
The tentative Marching Band 2017 dates are available in the link below.
STEVENSON MUSIC DEPARTMENT SPIRIT WEAR
Every year the Music Boosters offer apparel for sale to both students and parents so we can proudly show others that we are part of a group of talented musicians! The online store opens Tuesday, August 8, 2017. The online store offers a variety of items from t-shirts, full-zip fleece, and sweatshirts to stadium blankets and baseball caps. All items include the Spartan head logo encircled with "Livonia Stevenson" and the ensemble of your choice. Orders can be placed online through Sunday, August 20 at 11:59pm. Questions regarding spirit wear should be directed to Mrs. Culkeen at email@example.com.
2018 MUSIC DEPARTMENT TRIP – Orlando, FL (April 2-7, 2018)
The next Music Department trip has been planned for spring break 2018. We now have a waitlist for the second bus. If you are still interested in traveling to Disney with the music department, please register to be placed on the waitlist. Once we have enough to formally open the bus, the waitlist will be lifted and you will be officially registered. Our hope is to lift the waitlist in the next couple weeks, but we need more participants to make that happen. We are looking forward to another great music experience for our musicians and families.