As we draw closer to the start of marching band season, please be sure to read through all information carefully and watch the calendar for important events. Today’s note contains a lot of time sensitive information such as chaperone and volunteer district clearance procedures, sign-ups for snack donations and pre-camp assistance and uniform fittings, district payment links, and camp dietary needs.
CAMP CHAPERONES NEEDED
We are in need of additional parents to chaperone Band Camp August 21st-25th. If you are available to cover 1, 2, 3, or 4 nights of camp, we can use your help! This is a wonderful opportunity to get involved with supporting your Marching Spartans. Chaperones are a critical part of a smooth camp, but no specific skills or experience is needed. There is, however, a small charge for room and board for the week. For further information or to volunteer, please email Mrs. Wickman @ email@example.com or John Rae @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
DISTRICT ICHAT for VOLUNTEERS
Parents who volunteer or chaperone band students must complete the district online iChat form (https://tinyurl.com/ichat2018). This form is updated by the LPS district each year. If you are chaperoning band camp or plan to help during pre-camp or uniform fittings, you must complete the online form ASAP to ensure you are cleared to volunteer. If you do not plan to volunteer for camp but want to help later in the year, you will need to complete and submit the form before you can be cleared to volunteer. The processing time the district requires for the iChat form is 2-3 weeks. If you are chaperoning band camp, it is imperative that the iChat form is processed prior to camp. Once you have been cleared for one Livonia Public Schools chaperone or volunteer activity, you will not need to fill out another iChat form until the following school year.
Pre-camp begins WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15 at 8 a.m. for all 1st and 2nd year marchers, guard, and drumline. All 3rd and 4th year members must report to camp Wednesday at 1p. Please be sure all forms and payments have been received by the start of pre-camp. Everyone should arrive early to ensure you are ready to start on time. We will meet at the marching band practice field behind the softball field (if it is raining, we will meet in the band room). Students need to park in the back lot. The front loop is for drop off and staff parking.
Below you will find detailed information regarding precamp activities.
WEDNESDAY, August 15
- 1st and 2nd year marchers and drumline (8a-3p).
- Bring instruments, music, flipbooks, lyres, and pencil
- If you have your poker chips from last year, return them to Alex or Jillian at pre-camp on Wednesday!!!
- ALL marching band members, including 3rd and 4th year members, report to the practice field by 1p.
- Meet the Team (6:20-7p)
- A pep band will be organized by the drum majors to perform outside the PAC for the athletic Meet the Team Night
- Parent Meeting (7p)
THURSDAY, August 16
- Pre-Camp 8a-3p
- Music Assessment: Fight Song (memorization)
- Bowling at Woodland Lanes (7-8:30p) $10/person
FRIDAY, August 17
- Pre-Camp 8a-3p
- Music Assessment: Star Spangled Banner (memorization)
SATURDAY, August 18 (10a-2p)
- Uniform Fittings (more information below)
- Car Wash & Bottle Drive
MONDAY, August 20
- Pre-Camp 8a-3p
- Potbelly Sandwich Fundraiser (6-8p)
IMPORTANT PRE-CAMP REMINDERS
- Snacks and water bottles will not be supplied. Individuals should bring a snack and water every day.
- Be sure your emergency information form is turned in by the first day of pre-camp - August 15.
- Be sure to watch weather forecasts to plan properly for the day. Rain showers do not stop marching practice outside – be prepared! In the event of lightning, we will move indoors.
- Be sure to wear appropriate clothing (tennis shoes, athletic shorts, school appropriate top, avoid black clothing, etc.). School dress code for shorts (mid-thigh) and tops (no tank-tops/spaghetti straps, bare midriffs, or under garments showing) apply to all school activities. Jeans, long pants, and boots are not acceptable as it makes it difficult to assess proper marching technique and restricts movement.
- Eat a good breakfast (including a protein in your breakfast will boost your energy). Limit the sugar you consume, as it will cause you to crash in the middle of the morning. Try to avoid dairy in the morning as it usually lays heavy and creates upset stomach.
- BRING WATER: Since you will be marching out in the sun and heat, it is important to drink lots of water. There will also be large containers of water on the field to refill water bottles. Water bottles will NOT be provided!
- Bring a snack for morning break. NO snacks will be provided!
- You will have 1 hour for lunch every day. Individuals may choose to bring a lunch and eat at school or leave campus for lunch.
- To protect yourself from the sun, be sure to wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.
- ALL wind players will need a flipbook and lyre for their music. These items can be purchased at a local music store.
- Music, instrument, pencil, flipbook, lyre, poker chips (will be provided for setting drill), and dot books/drill are required at ALL rehearsals.
PARENT MEETING – Wednesday, August 15 (7p)
There will be a PARENT MEETING Wednesday, August 15 at 7p in the Stevenson Instrumental Music room (M-12). Information regarding band camp, marching band season, parent volunteer opportunities, and information on how to get involved through the Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters will be discussed. We look forward to meeting new families and catching up with returning families!
Marching band uniform fittings will be held on Saturday, August 18 at Stevenson. Appointments to be fit for a uniform are available online. Click here to make an appointment. If you will be out of town, please contact me directly so I can make arrangements with the uniform moms.
Uniform fitting appointments will be 15 minutes in length; therefore, it is important you follow general guidelines to be fit properly. Please be sure the phone number you supply is a number where you can be contacted the day of your fitting.
Uniform Fitting Guidelines:
- Sign-up for a time online. Complete all required fields. This will help us prepare for your appointment.
- ALL camp fees must be paid in full to be fit and/or be allowed to take your assigned uniform home.
- Individuals must wear a t-shirt, athletic shorts, and socks for the fitting (these are the items you will wear under your uniform for games and competitions).
- Individuals are to be dressed as stated when appointment starts so you can be fit properly.
MARCHING BAND CAMP – Covenant Hills Camp, Otisville
Information regarding band camp at Covenant Hills can be found HERE.
- All students will depart from Stevenson on Tuesday, August 21 by bus.
- ALL students must be picked up from Covenant Hills Camp on Saturday, August 25.
- A reminder that students CANNOT drive themselves to camp. You MUST ride the school provided bus (August 21) and be picked up by a parent or guardian from Covenant Hills Camp on August 25.
- Camp will end with a performance by the marching band at 11a Saturday, August 25 at Covenant Hills Camp.
- After the performance, Parents/Guardians will check students and their belongings out to depart camp.
BAND CAMP 2018 – Departure Day and Camp Pick-Up Schedule
TUESDAY, August 21
8:15 am Leadership and Drumline at SHS for loading – meet in front parking lot
8:45 am All wind players and guard at SHS for loading
9:45 am Buses depart for Covenant Hills Camp
11:15 am Arrive at camp – unload equipment, move in to cabins
11:45 am LUNCH
12:30 pm Meeting – Camp expectations and rule reminders
12:45 pm Sectionals (Music)
SATURDAY, August 25
11:00 am Performance for family and friends at Covenant Hills Camp
11:20 am Student check-out and departure from camp with their families
1:30 pm Truck arrives at SHS for unloading
CAMP DIETARY NEEDS
Students and chaperones who have specific dietary needs should have include them in the online marching band registration. If you have a food allergy, are vegetarian, or must avoid certain foods, I must have record of your needs by Thursday, August 9 to be sure the camp can be informed properly. It is important individuals who do NOT require a special diet avoid suddenly becoming vegetarians at camp as food is prepped specifically for those who have a special dietary need.
MARCHING BAND CAMP DONATIONS
Students will be provided with 3 regular meals at Marching Band camp. Since we cannot have extra food in our cabins due to the critters it can attract, we plan to provide snacks each day to keep our musicians energized. If you would sign up HERE to donate snack items, it would be very much appreciated! Please bring all FOOD donations to the band room on August 20 before or after practice.
The LPS Pay-to-Participate payment link is now active for 2018-19. All marching band members must pay the LPS $50 fee to participate in marching band. To access the site click on the link below, or visit the Stevenson home page (http://stevenson.livoniapublicschools.org/), hover over “Activities” and scroll down to Pay to Participate: Marching Band/All-School Play/All-School Musical.
CAMP REGISTRATION FEES
With camp right around the corner, all marching band camp fees ($375 camp fee and all uniform fees – shoes, gloves) should be completely paid or have a plan in place with Mrs. Wickman. If you mailed your forms and payment, but did not complete the online registration, please complete the registration so I can inform the camp of student dietary needs.
ONLINE MARCHING BAND REGISTRATION (click here)
MARCHING BAND FORMS PACKET (click here)
Mail completed forms/payments to:
Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters
P.O. Box 531081
Livonia, MI 48153
MARCHING BAND CALENDAR OVERVIEW - 2018
The tentative Marching Band 2018 dates are available in the link below.