Stevenson construction is near completion and the music facility renovations look fabulous. Looking back at the start of last school year, it is hard to imagine our temporary classroom in the old auditorium and the temporary instrument storage solutions we devised. Now, as you enter the music hall, you will see our new instrument lockers, uniform storage, music storage, and beautiful large ensemble practice rooms. Through the many challenges last year, our music community remained supportive, patient, and understanding as we navigated the challenges, which ultimately made us stronger. The outstanding students and parents in our program helped make a challenging year a successful year. Now let’s enjoy the new facilities and make this the best year of music at Stevenson yet!
INSTRUMENTS & LOCKERS
Instruments will not be needed for band and orchestra classes on Tuesday or Wednesday; however, marching band members will need instruments for practice after school. Since lockers will not be assigned until class Tuesday, marching band members can leave instruments in the band room along the wall after 7:15 a.m. Be sure to place instruments in an organized fashion out of the way as there will be classes in the music room throughout the day.
Lockers will be assigned the first week of school. Since instrument lockers are now in the music hallway, it is extremely important for students to keep their lockers locked at ALL times (even during class). If a school instrument is found in an unlocked locker, the student may lose the privilege of using a school instrument. LOCK YOUR INSTRUMENT LOCKERS!
Bring a pencil to class every day and instruments starting Thursday, September 7.
Throughout the year there will be many opportunities to get involved in the music program for students and parents. Please visit the music website at http://www.shsmusic.org/ for updates and information.
Please encourage individuals of the music program to register for weekly Music Note updates by visiting the music website at http://www.shsmusic.org. You can locate past Music Notes by visiting the Music Notes blog on the music website at http://www.shsmusic.org/music-notes. If you signed up and are not receiveing the weekly music note, please check your spam folder and set up a filter to have the notes go to your inbox.
FACEBOOK & TWITTER
I also encourage our supporters to follow the Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters Facebook page to get more updates on the music program. If you prefer tweeting, the Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters can be found on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MusicBoosterSHS
2017-18 BAND and ORCHESTRA CALENDAR
The tentative Band and Orchestra calendar for the 2017-18 season is available on the music website and the link below.
VOLUNTEERS: Parents who plan to volunteer throughout the year must complete an ICHAT form. This is a district requirement. The online form can be accessed through the link below.
Please remember there are a number of activities throughout the school day and after school at Stevenson. As you wait for students at the end of practice, be sure not to block the driveway or handicapped parking areas so people can get in and out easily. In addition, traffic flow in the morning for drop off and afternoon for pick up from school will be challenging. Mr. Harper sent out an email in the last week with clarification on how to get in and out of the school lots during these times. Please be sure to review before school starts so you aware of traffic flow during high traffic times.
We are again in need of volunteers for marching band practices this week. We like to have 1-2 parents assist with monitoring needs on the field. If you are available to help this week, please let me know your availability.
As we move forward with marching band season, please make every attempt possible to be at every practice for the scheduled time. Be sure to schedule appointments, work, and lessons outside of practice times as it is very difficult to learn and refine music and drill when individuals are missing. In addition, Mrs. Wickman should be notified in advance of any unavoidable conflicts to determine if the absence will effect the individual’s permission to perform that week. Absence due to sickness or emergency need to be communicated in a timely fashion.
Marching Band Practice Information:
- Planned absences must be cleared with Mrs. Wickman at least 24 hours in advance to be excused. Illnesses and emergencies should be communicated by a PARENT as soon as possible. Unexcused absences will result in a benching and/or removal from the band.
- Students enrolled in 7th hour during marching band must arrive within 10 minutes of the release of their class.
- Injuries, which necessitate rest, need to be communicated by a parent or doctor note in order for students to sit on the sideline during a practice. If a student needs to sit out for more than a day or two, a doctor note will be required.
- Practice will conclude at 5:00p; however, students will need extra time after practice for announcements and cleanup. Parents should pick up students around 5:15p.
- Please remember there are a number of activities throughout the school day and after school at Stevenson. As you wait for students at the end of practice, be sure not to block the driveway or handicapped parking areas so people can get in and out easily.
- Students need to be aware of the cleanup schedule. Students on cleanup duty will be responsible for cleaning the practice field, stacking chairs and stands in the music room, emptying trash, and moving personal items to the lost and found. Cleanup crew are not allowed to leave until released by Mrs. Wickman or a drum major.
- Since you will be going to practice after being in class all day, remember to bring appropriate clothes and shoes for marching. You may use the time between 6th hour and 3p to change clothes.
- Students may gather in the band room or hallway after school while they wait for marching band, but all food and drink must be consumed in the cafeteria. Only water is allowed in the band room and music hallway.
- Marching Band members be sure to bring instruments, music, dot books, poker chips, and pencils to all practices.
This fall the marching band will practice Tuesday through Thursday 3-5p. Game weeks, one practice may be extended to 6p for practice on the stadium field. Color guard will have weekly sectionals with their coach on WEDNESDAYS from 6-8p. The marching band is scheduled to perform in a Scholastic clinic, Scholastic Invitational, and MSBOA Marching Band Festival. There will be additions for sectionals and rehearsals on the turf field as the dates and times are determined and confirmed. For more details, the calendar can be viewed on the website in the marching band section of the site.
MARCHING BAND CALENDAR
Marching Band members be sure to bring instruments, music, dot books, poker chips, and pencils to all practices. Since you will be going to practice after being in class all day, remember to bring appropriate clothes and tennis shoes for marching.
MARCHING BAND PAY-TO-PARTICIPATE FEE
The LPS Pay-to-Participate payment link is now active for 2017-18. All marching band members must pay the LPS $50 fee to participate in marching band. To access the site click on the link below (or copy and paste the link into your browser), or visit the Stevenson home page (http://stevenson.livoniapublicschools.org/), hover over “Activities” and scroll down to Pay to Participate: Marching Band/All-School Play/All-School Musical.
2018 MUSIC DEPARTMENT TRIP – Orlando, FL (April 2-7, 2018)
The next Music Department trip has been planned for spring break 2018. We now have a waitlist for the second bus. If you are still interested in traveling to Disney with the music department, please register to be placed on the waitlist. Once we have enough to formally open the bus, the waitlist will be lifted and you will be officially registered. Our hope is to lift the waitlist in the next couple weeks, but we need more participants to make that happen. We are looking forward to another great music experience for our musicians and families.
DISNEY 2018 MEETING