Music Note highlights...September 2018
Throughout the year there will be many opportunities to get involved in the music program for students and parents. Please visit the music website at http://www.shsmusic.org/ for updates and information.
Please encourage individuals of the music program to register for weekly Music Note updates by visiting the music website at http://www.shsmusic.org. If you signed up and are not receiveing the weekly music note, please check your spam folder and set up a filter to have the notes go to your inbox.
FACEBOOK & TWITTER
I also encourage our supporters to follow the Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/MusicBoosterSHS/ to get more updates on the music program. If you prefer tweeting, the Livonia Stevenson Music Boosters can be found on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MusicBoosterSHS
2018-19 BAND and ORCHESTRA CALENDAR
The tentative Band and Orchestra calendar for the 2018-19 season is available on the music website and the link below.
VOLUNTEERS: Parents who plan to volunteer throughout the year must complete an ICHAT form. This is a district requirement. The online form can be accessed through the link below.
GOOGLE CLASSROOM – All Classes
Individuals in all band and orchestra classes need to enroll in their class through Google Classroom. Even if you were enrolled in a class last year, you must enroll in the 2018-19 class. Codes for each class can be found below.
Concert Band: ydxiisl
Symphony Band: ghr07pb
Wind Ensemble: pmktshw
Music Theory: nv6p69
Individuals need to complete the Student Survey assigned through Google Classroom by Monday, September 10, 2018.
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC HANDBOOK 2018-19
At the beginning of each new school year, students and parents are inundated with syllabi, classroom rules, and handbooks. New this year – the Instrumental Music Handbook will only be available on the music website. The handbook can be accessed HERE and downloaded from the music website for quick reference. If access to the internet is not readily available to you, a limited number of hard copies will be available in the music room.
SCHOLASTIC CLINIC @ Wayne Memorial HS (9/15/18) - 3001 4th Street, Wayne, Michigan
The Marching Band will be performing at Wayne Memorial High School at 12:40p on Saturday, September 15. This clinic is an opportunity for the band to receive immediate feedback from a panel of judges in the areas of marching, music, and visual effect. Band members are responsible for their own transportation to and from Wayne Memorial HS. Large instruments will be transported on a truck. Individuals who play percussion, sousaphone, or an instrument too large to transport by car need to meet at SHS at 9:30a to load the truck. The Scholastic Clinic is open to the public. Tickets will be sold at the gate. Prices are $5 per person and children 5 and under are free. We hope family and friends will join us for our performance. An itinerary with details for the day can be found HERE.
CLINIC DAY REMINDERS:
- You are responsible for your own transportation.
- Large instruments will be loaded on the truck at 9:30 a.m. If your instrument is being transported on the truck, YOU are responsible for loading it at 9:30 a.m. and unloading it at SHS when we return to the school.
- Arrive at Wayne Memorial in full uniform – hat, gloves, black socks, jacket, and pants
MARCHING BAND PRACTICE REMINDERS
As we move forward with marching band season, please make every attempt possible to be at every practice for the scheduled time. Be sure to schedule appointments, work, and lessons outside of practice times as it is very difficult to learn and refine music and drill when individuals are missing. In addition, Mrs. Wickman should be notified in advance of any unavoidable conflicts to determine if the absence will effect the individual’s permission to perform that week. Absence due to sickness or emergency need to be communicated in a timely fashion.
This fall the marching band will practice Tuesday and Thursday 4-6p and Wednesdays 3-6p (guard practice on Wednesdays will be 3:30-7p). The marching band is scheduled to perform in a Scholastic clinic, Scholastic Invitational, and MSBOA Marching Band Festival. There will be additions for sectionals and rehearsals on the turf field as dates and times are determined and confirmed. For more details, the calendar can be viewed on the main page of the music website. Practice and performance dates can also be found on the music google calendar on the music website.
Marching Band Practice Information:
- Planned absences must be cleared with Mrs. Wickman at least 24 hours in advance to be excused. Illnesses and emergencies should be communicated by a PARENT as soon as possible. Unexcused absences will result in a benching and/or removal from the band.
- Students enrolled in 7th hour during marching band must arrive within 10 minutes of the release of their class.
- Injuries, which necessitate rest, need to be communicated by a parent or doctor note in order for students to sit on the sideline during a practice. If a student needs to sit out for more than a day or two, a doctor note will be required.
- Practice will conclude at 6:00p; however, students will need extra time after practice for announcements and cleanup. Parents should pick up students around 6:15p.
- Please remember there are a number of activities throughout the school day and after school at Stevenson. As you wait for students at the end of practice, be sure not to block the driveway or handicapped parking areas so people can get in and out easily.
- Students need to be aware of the cleanup schedule. Students on cleanup duty will be responsible for cleaning the practice field, stacking chairs and stands in the music room, emptying trash, and moving personal items to the lost and found. Cleanup crew are not allowed to leave until released by Mrs. Wickman or a drum major.
- Since you will be going to practice after being in class all day, remember to bring appropriate clothes and shoes for marching. You may use the time between 6th hour and 3p to change clothes.
- Students may gather in the band room or hallway after school while they wait for marching band, but all food and drink must be consumed in the cafeteria. Only water is allowed in the band room and music hallway.
- Marching Band members be sure to bring instruments, music, dot books, poker chips, and pencils to all practices.
All instruments must be properly stored after each practice. Instruments must be stored in cases (closed and latched) in lockers or the storage room (only if assigned to store in the storage room). No instruments should be left on the floor or unsecured area. Drum line equipment must be in cases stored in the percussion room along with harnesses. Sousaphones must be stored in the percussion room on the sousa racks. It is important to be sure all valuables are secured in YOUR locker during marching band practice. Leaving items out in the hallway, in the band room, or in an unlocked locker is inviting theft. Please help remind each other to secure your items properly before heading to the practice field.
Marching Band members be sure to bring instruments, music, dot books/coordinate sheets, poker chips, and pencils to all practices. Since you will be going to practice after being in class all day, remember to bring appropriate clothes and tennis shoes for marching.
The LPS Pay-to-Participate payment link is now active for 2018-19. All marching band members must pay the LPS $50 fee to participate in marching band. Individuals will not be able to take their uniform home if the LPS fee has not been paid. To access the site, click on the link below, or visit the Stevenson home page, hover over “Activities” and scroll down to Pay to Participate: Marching Band/All-School Play/All-School Musical.